You might remember our blog entry a year ago about the local Independence Day tradition of climbing greased poles that have prizes hanging from them. This year three friends and I decided to give it a shot at the mother of all pole-climbing venues, Jakarta's Ancol amusement park area, where organizers put up around 150 poles in the ground in a big field.
Teams came to the event from all over Jakarta and there was a giant stage with live music playing. We were the only team of foreigners participating and thus, drew quite a crowd.
While our team didn’t quite make it to the top, we felt victorious as none of us ended up in the hospital.
More photos at http://picasaweb.google.co.id/howieandhaviva/PanjangPinang/

3 comments:
I was cheering for you each attempt, even despite the fact that I knew you guys never made it. It was a little like watching a video of the superbowl the day after. Just possibly a little greasier.
Howie / Haviva, did you guys happen to apply for last season's Amazing Race Asia? didja, didja? I just thought you guys looked familiar. I'm kinda miffed at the fact that there is no Indo team this year though .. what's up with that huh?
We did! But it seems we were only good enough for the reject reel on the opening episode. I have actually never seen it, but it caught Howie's eye and apparently some other people's...
Post a Comment