At the beginning of last week an email appeared in the inboxes of everyone in the office inviting us all to lunch. It seemed like a nice holiday season-type lunch invite, but it wasn't really specific on the reason behind the invite.

The next day we all went to lunch at Times Square restaurant in one of the fancier malls. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet run by the Kempinski hotel and was actually pretty good food. There were no speeches, no toasts and no mention of it being a special occasion. We all went back to work afterward and proceeded with a normal afternoon.
About half an hour after returning to the office we were all called in to a meeting. There, the owner of the company started the meeting with something like, "Howie & Haviva - we hope you enjoyed your special farewell lunch." I think I responded something like, "er, um, that was for us... I mean, thank you." She and her daughter (the editor in chief) then presented us with traditional puppets as a going away gift. 


A good, though awkward, time was had by all.


No comments:
Post a Comment