Monday, April 20, 2009

The Colors of Kathmandu

From Kathmandu
Kathmandu is dusty and leaves a layer on you that requires some serious scrubbing at the end of the day, but that is about the only bad thing I think I can say about this place. The tiny windy roads provide oodles to see. The architecture, with stone and brick buildings packed in one next to the other, with interesting wooden window frames, and the gorgeous women in colorful sarees moving in and out make it hard to walk without stopping ever second to take a photo. There is something to see at every turn and I love it.
From Kathmandu

We spent one day just soaking in Kathmandu and one day in Patan, another of Nepal's three kingdoms and short ride over the river from Kathmandu. Patan is slightly smaller, slightly less touristy and lacking some of Katmandu's severe backpacker culture and was a nice little break. While there are tons of tourists in these parts, Nepal seems to have done a stunning job retaining much of its original culture and traditions. We can literally walk for hours and not be bored in the least.
From Kathmandu

You might also notice an increase in quality in our pictures. Well, the Olympus point and shoot that we had fixed in Vietnam broke once again, this time during our one night in Bangkok. Not sure what was going to happen and knowing we would want good pictures in Nepal and India, we took the plunge and got a DSLR. We are still getting used to all the fancy features, but already we are loving it and seeing a difference. We cannot wait to put it to use on the trek.
From Kathmandu

Speaking of the trek, this will be our last posting for a bit as we hit the trail on the Annapurna Circuit. We head out tomorrow for a night or two in Pokarah and then 20 days or so on the circuit where we will be lucky to find a hot shower, let alone an internet connection. Until then...
From Kathmandu

From Kathmandu
From Kathmandu
From Kathmandu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy trails. Be safe.
Love you,
Mom (Leslie)

Anonymous said...

Great to read about your travels. Liba and I also took a ooking class in Thailand and loved it. Alysha and Mwenya are living in Cambodia. Both of the girls travel a lot. Liba wnt to elephant school in northern Thailand nd loved bathing them too. Have a safe trip. I'll send them your blog site. Love Cousin Rena

HowieAndHaviva said...

Rena! I had no idea you kept up with the blog, great to hear from you. It is too bad I did not know about Alysha being in Cambodia - how amazing it would have been to meet up with her there! Next time I guess :-) Hope all is well with you! Love, Haviva