Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Quick Trip to Singapore (aka Londasia or Epcot Asia)

Sorry for our absence - Haviva's been busy at work and I've been in Singapore getting my permanent visa. It was only supposed to be a day trip, but the second I landed and turned my phone on Haviva called to tell me that there was a 'misunderstanding' and I'd have to overnight. Would have been nicer if I had brought more than my camera with me, but at least I got to explore the city.

Singapore is an interesting place and a nice change of pace from Jakarta. Definitely made me remember that Jakarta is "developing". It's a great walking city, which is something we really miss in Jakarta. Nice wide, tree lined avenues with crosswalks and drivers that yield to pedestrians - all things you don't find in Jakarta. 75% of the city feels like you are in London. The other 25% is divided into an Arab area, Chinatown and Little India, which make you remember that you are in Asia, but in a weird Epcot kind of way.

Singapore is famous for its food and it didn't disappoint. I made good use of my 30 hours and had a great dinner in Little India, a good breakfast of noodles and dim sum at my hotel and a delicious bowl of noodle soup in Chinatown for lunch before taking the nicest subway ever to the nicest airport ever to fly home.

No comments: