
In passing at the Bangkok frisbee tournament, I mentioned to Howie's teammate Jon that I was thinking about having a seder. I am not sure how it came up, especially since at the time I did not even know Jon was Jewish, but at the mere mention the excitement on his face said it all. A week or so later I emailed him to make sure it was not just the adreniline talking and sure enough, he was already planning a menu. He even sent a hagadah and a Jewish cookbook over to our apartment.

So, Saturday night we had an "Indonesian Passover". The Jew to non jew ratio was a bit off, but in keeping with the traditions of the Cohen family, the guest list kept expanding and we ended up being about 20. Everyone seemed to have a great time - there was a group singing of the 4 questions in Hebrew and you would be amazed at how eagerly a group of 20 and 30 somethings searched for the afikomen.

There was way too much food, as I believe there always should be (I made matzo ball soup for the first time and finally understand why my mother agonizes over the consistancy of those little treats) and there was even a flourless almond cake a la Jon for dessert. The little hagadah I made worked out perfectly and everyone was a good sport about reading, singing, and making animal sounds during Chad Gadya.

Some lessons were learned - little chili peppers are a great substitute for horseradish, even if they are hard to get in that Hillel sandwich and when you see walnuts in Indonesia, just buy them because they will not be easy to find when you finally do want to make charoset. but that is part of what made this a very Indonesian seder and not quite like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment