Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Global Conference 2006



Okay, it was not really global - English First only has offices in China, Russia and Indonesia - and don't worry, not too many work details are about to follow. It was a little more exciting than it sounds from the title.


The conference was held here in Indonesia - those smart other countries have decided to take advantage of the only country where it is beach weather in December - about 4 and 1/2 hours outside of Jakarta at the lovely Kuda Laud Resort. This is not a place you can easily get to as a tourist; somewhat in the middle of no where, but absolutely gorgeous. Every day we ate our meals right on the beach and the walk to my villa provided beautiful views. Of course, we spent most of the time sweating inside a meeting room that was not quite as big as it should have been, as well as it lost power around 4 PM each day leaving us in the dark for the last 2 presentations of the day. Meetings ended at about 7 PM each day and the evenings were filled with karaoke, a band with dancing, and the drinking of liquor purchased at duty free. And there was some night wading in the ocean, although the nights were a bit too dark and the current a bit too strong for night swimming. I did get a couple hours the last day though to take a dip and enjoy the waves. The only real draw back were the over 50 some odd steps to my villa on the cliff (not the widest or easiest path to take each day, especially after that duty free liquor) and the creepy crawlies that liked to join me there. Killed some pretty big spiders - yes, after I squeeling like the complete baby I truly am - and learned to sleep through night despite the giant lizard in my wall that decided this week was the best time to mate. Never saw, but I heard him. (He did leave me little "present "each day though on the bathroom floor.)


Check out the pics I added to our album - http://picasaweb.google.com/howieandhaviva
and, just to clarify a little, the weird pictures on the stage are the very "interesting" performance by the Indonesian team (Jean and I were regulated to making the sound effectes on the side of the stage for some reason.) The sheep on the beach I just cannot explain.

No comments: