Sunday, December 17, 2006

More Frisbee


Saturday afternoon I went out to a couple of private girls schools in far East Jakarta with a few other Westerners from the Ultimate Frisbee club to teach Frisbee and do some general mingling. (In truth, one of them was co-ed, having 457 girls and 4 boys enrolled.) We had a lot of fun and I think the girls were sufficiently entertained. The schools were quite nice and the students and staffs quite friendly.

You might notice from the photos that the majority of the girls at one of the schools were wearing head scarves (called a jilbab here) and very few were at the other school. Surprisingly (to me, at least) wearing a jilbab seems to have little or no bearing on a girl's general behavior. The girls in the jilbabs were just as outgoing and just as likely to strike up a conversation with the western men as the girls without them.

If you are interested in the photos they are at http://picasaweb.google.com/howieandhaviva

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is your Indonesian coming along? Jeff Stone (the guy in green with the frisbee) seemed to be able to speak a little.
I am loving the blog and the fact that I can respond now.
Happy Channukah!